Landlord Gas Safety Certificates

All landlords are required to have their gas appliances serviced regularly to make sure they’re efficient and safe. It’s the law, as stated in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate is the report which lists all the checks carried out in your annual gas safety inspection.

It will prove that all the gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for your tenants were checked by a registered Gas Safe engineer in the last 12 months.

It’s also known in the trade as the CP12 Certificate as it dates back to when CORGI was the body responsible for gas safety in the UK and the certificate was called the CORGI Proforma 12, or CP12.

Now the Gas Safe Register is the official body issuing the Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate in the UK, but it’s still widely referred to as the CP12 Certificate.

The Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate explained

It’s a legal requirement for landlords to have all gas appliances, pipework, chimneys and flues checked every 12 months to make sure the property they’re renting out is safe for their tenants.

Once this check has been completed, you will get your CP12. You’ll need to provide a copy to your tenants within 28 days and you’ll need to give one to new renters when they move in.

Make sure you keep hold of old certificates as CP12s need to be kept for at least two years.

It’s really important that the check is only carried out by a Gas Safe engineer, or you won’t receive the proper legal certification.

If your tenants have brought any gas appliances with them, you are only responsible for the pipework that supplies them, but it’s worth including them in your annual check.

You should also let your tenants know how to turn off the gas at the mains and what to do if there was a gas emergency. You should also tell your renters who the gas transporter is. These differ depending on where you live.

What’s included in the CP12 Gas Safety Certificate check?

Your Gas Safe engineer will carry out the following inspections, before you get your Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate for the year. They will:

  • Check your appliances for gas tightness
  • Check the standing and working gas pressure (if test points are available)
  • Check the burner pressure and gas pressure against the manufacturer’s data plate
  • Check for the satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation
  • Test the flue flow to ensure the removal of products of combustion
  • Check that safety devices work properly
  • Check for any misuse of gas devices or items

Does a landlord have to provide a carbon monoxide detector?

Yes, landlords must provide a working carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation, where solid fuel is used at the start of each new tenancy. This could be a room where there’s a log burning stove, a wood burner or open fire or a gas fire, though an open fire that’s purely decorative and unusable is exempt.

How much does a Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate cost?

There’s no fixed price as the cost depends on the Gas Safe engineer you choose. Certificate costs aren’t regulated by the Gas Safe Register, so it’s best to get three quotes to choose from. Costs can start from £35 and go up to more than £150, depending on how many gas appliances there are to check.

Please contact us to book your Gas Safety Certificate.

Fortune and Co Ltd

24 Hour Emergency Call Out Service

The 24 Hour Emergency Call Out Service is for assistance to customers outside of our normal working hours.

Call 07856 717136 and use the menu options during out of hours.

You will be given the option to speak directly with our Out of Hours Engineer in the event of an emergency situation, or leave a message on an answering machine to be dealt with when the office re-opens.

Why choose Fortune & Co Ltd?

  • Fully insured
  • Fully qualified Engineers
  • Experienced Engineers
  • Gas Safe Registered Engineers
  • 24 hour Emergency Call Out Service
  • Free Quote
  • High quality
  • Lowest price possible


Please call or email us for a no obligation quotation and we'll do our best to meet your requirements.

Contact us now
Expert Trades

The areas we cover

We are based in Epsom and Ewell and cover areas such as;

Chessington, Banstead, Sutton, Ashtead, Oxshott, Tadworth, Leatherhead, Morden, New Malden, Mitcham, Croydon, South Croydon, Purley, Coulsdon, Merstham, Redhill, Reigate, Betchworth, Brockham, Great Bookham, Fetcham, Downside, Cobham, Esher, East Molesey, Surbiton, Kingston upon Thames, Wimbledon, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge, Byfleet, East Horsley, Wotton, Dorking.

See the map